Category Archives: Hat

Sock Monkey Hat

My sister requested a sock monkey hat. I followed the basic directions from Christine’s blog.

The basic hat is done in double crochets. I used a size H hook and Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool yarn (color: oak tweed) for the main part of the body.

My sister wanted a fleece lining, so I sewed that inside after it was completed. She requested a ribbon pom pom for the top instead of a yarn one.

There are several modifications. I made the hat several rows longer. I did the monkey’s ears a little differently, as well as the mouth area. The ear flaps for wearer were made larger and longer as well.

The directions for the hat ended up fitting a standard medium sized head.

My sister requested a sock monkey helmet cover for her ski helmet. We’ll see if I can make one that will stay on without Velcro. Pictures of how these turned out and pseudo directions can be found at or

I’d also like to try to make the hat using single crochets. I think a double crochet hat is fast to make but more drafty. I think and unlined hat looks nice as well.


Eggplant Head

There are a lot of adorable baby berry hats out there. The ones that look like strawberries are especially cute. I decided to make a plum baby hat and picked out what I thought was the prettiest plum colored Caron Simply Soft Eco yarn I could find. Using Michele Sabatier’s free Berry Baby Hat pattern from Ravelry, I put aside countless other projects to get working on this. Using size 8 DPN’s, I quickly cranked this little hat out. I had some stray green alpaca yarn I picked up in Bolivia and held that double since it was rather thin.

When I finished, my husband informed me that it looked more like an eggplant than a plum. And sure enough, the next time I went to the store and saw an eggplant, this little hat was the spitting image!

Skull Hat Take Two

After doing more searching on Ravelry, I found some other great skull hats. After all, I still owed my husband a skull hat. I decided on Gayle Vicker’s Riley’s Skully Hat. The skull pattern was not exactly what I wanted, so I used Ravelry user Weeta’s instead.

The pattern is great. The changing colors, not so great. For a fourth project, I think it turned out rather well. To give away as gifts, I’m going to need to spend time with some real pros to work some kinks out.

Again I added an I-cord and tassel. This has fits my husband’s head, but only just!

I worked the pattern on size 8 DPN’s using Simply Soft yarn. It’s probably not the warmest hat for winter, but it is soft!

Does he look like a pirate or what!

Skull Hat

After coming to the conclusion that knitted hats seem to have more give than crocheted ones,  and that some projects look better knitted, I decided it was high time I learned to knit. One of my first projects was this skull hat. Not only would I get to practice knitting, I would get to make a cool project for my husband, who just so happens to love skulls. Never mind that this project would require changing colors! How hard could that be for a new knitter to learn!

After watching several YouTube videos, I managed to knit this hat using size 8 DPN’s. (The circular needles I bought were too long. I didn’t realize they came in different lengths!). I added an I-cord to the top with a tassel. Not bad for a newbie. Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit my husband’s formidable head. This will have to go to a child.

The skull hat pattern is from Gina Doherty. It’s available for free at Ravelry. I believe I used Simply Soft yarn for the hat.

Daisy Cabled Hat

New to knitting, I decided to try my hand at cables. I had tried to make swatches of cables, but was finding it exceedingly difficult. After several (failed) attempts, I almost gave up altogether. After waiting a couple of weeks, I decided to try a cabled hat. Thinking it would turn out abominably anyway, I used some old yellow Red Heart yarn and knit on size 8 DPN’s. I decided on Diane Gates’ Winter Femme pattern which I found for free on Ravelry. (I decided on this one because it looked simple enough for me, and the hundred other people that had made it before me did so with great success!)

Using a cable needle at least two sizes littler, I was able to make the cables and the entire hat! It ended up being a great pattern, and shockingly, a great color!

I had been toying with the idea of a flower, but I wasn’t sure what would work. I saw a simple daisy on a pair of baby booties and decided to try my hand at different types of daisies. The full-petaled half-daisy fit the bill. My mom saw the color and daisy and put in a request for one. That is high praise indeed!